Surrendering a Pet
There are options other than surrender.
Seek Pet Care Assistance
- Pets are often surrendered because the owner is struggling to provide care and they believe surrender is the best option. In fact, keeping pets and people together is the best option, and we strive to make that possible for pet owners. If you are considering surrendering your pet due to difficulty providing care, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. On a case-by-case basis we may be able to provide assistance to pet owners who are experiencing financial hardship, are met with an unexpected crisis, or simply need help.
Rehome Your Pet
- If you have considered your options and are still not able to keep your pet, consider rehoming them. This is the second-best solution for your pet and means placing them into a new home directly from yours. By skipping a stay at the rescue, your pet will experience a much more calm, comfortable transition and avoid the potential fear and stress of staying at a shelter.
- If you do not have a trusted friend or family member who can give your pet a home, there are more options. Our partners at Adopt-a-Pet.com offer an online rehoming service called Rehome. On this site, you can create a profile for your pet that will be viewed by potential adopters, review applications from people interested in adopting your pet, meet those applicants, and then finalize the adoption.
Ask a Professional
- If your pet is exhibiting problematic behavioral patterns there could be many potential causes and many potential solutions. First, talk to your vet about your animal’s behavior and any common triggers, and ask for solutions. Some behavioral issues can be a symptom of underlying medical issues and can be easily fixed by receiving veterinary care.
- If your pet’s behavioral pattern is not health-related, talk to a trainer. Even if your pet is an adult, senior, or has received previous training, a professional trainer may be able to help find ways to reduce or eliminate the behavioral issue. We recommend checking out The Down to Earth Dog Lady.
If you have pursued the above suggestions and are still interested in pursuing surrender, please click here.